Problem is, their ideas are not quite radical enough.
At WFC in Saratoga Springs I had a very enlightening conversation with an estimable man -- let's call him 'Al Golden' -- about this very subject. We worked out the solution:
- An SF magazine should be run by the mafia: this not only provides excellent coverage in North America, South Italy, Japan, Russia, and China; it also means a backer with deep pockets;
- Subscription policy: "Subscribe, or your spouse (or kids) get it";
- Subscription policy, continued: "and be happy that we've only raised our rates by 10% this year."
- Submission policy: not all those whimpy cents rates: $100 dollar per word on pre-acceptance;
- Submission policy, continued: we don't reject stories, but shoot unsuccessful authors(*)
(*) = while 4 might lead to a slushpile the size of Mount Vesuvius, 5 should ascertain that this is only a one-time occurrance. Although an informant who prefers to remain incognito remarked that 'there are not enough bullets'.
Mafioso SF: an offer you can't refuse!
"Submission policy: not all those whimpy cents rates: $100 dollar per word on pre-acceptance"
Almost exactly the deal I got from Forbes.
So, if you try to unsubscribe, do you wake up to find a severed horse's head in bed with you?
*looks shifty to the left and right*
(in a hoarse whisper): "You notta supposeda tell that Forbes is part of the family! Shuddup a ya face!"
*walks onward as if nothing happened*
>>>>So, if you try to unsubscribe, do you wake up to find a severed horse's head in bed with you?<<<<
That's so last year. Ever since we've strengthened our ties with the Yakuza, we'll drop a severed whale's tail (remnants of scientific whaling) on your bed. While you are still in it.
>>> we'll drop a severed whale's tail (remnants of scientific whaling) on your bed. While you are still in it.<<<
Presumably this is proving more economical than the outdated practice of sending a printed reminder slip via Royal Mail? And less easy to overlook...
I'll subscribe, I'll subscribe, just get this slimy, toothy alien out of my house
Post a Comment